The Hon. James L. Gale, a retired chief judge of the North Carolina Enterprise Court, received Elon College College of Law’s 2021-2022 Management in the Law Award at a ceremony hosted by North Carolina Attorneys Weekly.
A retired chief decide of the North Carolina Business Court whose prosperity of expertise on company legislation has been sought out by companies throughout the place is the receiver of Elon University University of Law’s major experienced award for leadership.
The Hon. James L. Gale received Elon Law’s 2021-2022 Leadership in the Law Award on April 14, 2022, at a management awards program hosted in downtown Greensboro by North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly.
Elon Law has bestowed its annual leadership award in a banquet with North Carolina Attorneys Weekly attended by judges and lawyers from across the state for the newspaper’s very own Leaders in the Legislation software.
Gale’s contributions to the legal job contain:
- Authoring much more than 200 opinions from 2011-2021 as a choose on the North Carolina Small business Courtroom
- Serving for three decades as chief choose prior to he was named in 2016 as Senior Company Courtroom Choose, a situation made by the North Carolina Common Assembly
- Counseling the American School of Organization Courtroom Judges, the American Bar Association’s Small business Law part, The Sedona Meeting, and the North Carolina Meeting of Outstanding Courtroom Judges
- Mentoring dozens of North Carolina legislation college students and graduates who have joined his chambers adjacent to Elon Law as interns and clerks
Gale started off his legal job as a clerk for the Hon. Franklin T. Dupree, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Japanese District of North Carolina in advance of becoming a member of the organization of Smith Moore Leatherwood, the predecessor of today’s Fox Rothschild, where by he practiced for 35 a long time and served as handling associate for its Raleigh and Tampa workplaces.
In 2011, Gale was appointed by Governor Bev Perdue to serve as a Special Top-quality Court docket Decide on the North Carolina Business Court docket, citing his litigation practical experience with disputes involving partnership, fiduciary duties, franchise, intellectual residence problems, trade regulation and unfair competitors claims.
Gale was regarded for his contributions to the authorized career with the NCBA Antitrust & Elaborate Small business Disputes Legislation Section’s 2021 Distinguished Service Award, an honor bestowed each and every other year on recipients who display the optimum ethical criteria, specialist competence, and contributions to the part and/or the fields of antitrust or advanced enterprise disputes regulation. He has been involved in The Greatest Legal professionals in American and has been named to Company North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” for Company Litigation.
Regulation and Politics Magazine experienced named Gale a single of North Carolina’s prime 100 “Super Lawyers” for numerous consecutive a long time prior to his judicial appointment.
An Alabama native, Gale earned a Bachelor of Arts in literature from Florida Presbyterian Higher education (because renamed Eckerd Higher education) ahead of finishing his Juris Physician from the College of Georgia where he graduated magna cum laude. He has been admitted to the bar in North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Elon Law Interim Dean Alan Woodlief offered Gale with the award. In his remarks, Woodlief thanked Gale for contributing to the schooling of regulation students throughout North Carolina and for his immediate assist of Moot Court programming at Elon Legislation.
“Judge Gale’s presence as a judge on the North Carolina Enterprise Court inside of our law university setting up made available students a day by day case in point of what we indicate when we describe the role of a ‘legal leader’ in our occupation,” Woodlief mentioned. “And prior to he started his transition into retirement, Choose Gale welcomed and has since mentored his successor, the Honorable Julianna Earp.
“It is our privilege at Elon Regulation to know that Judge Gale’s motivation to the achievement of the North Carolina Organization Court, and the achievements of all law learners who have benefited from his mentoring and wisdom, will have forward.”
Previous Award Recipients
- The Hon. Albert Diaz (2020), choose, United States Court docket of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Janet Ward Black (2019), Greensboro lawyer and former president of the North Carolina Bar Affiliation
- The Hon. Henry E. Frye (2018), chief justice (retired), Supreme Court docket of North Carolina
- The Hon. Robert N. “Bob” Hunter Jr. (2017), affiliate justice, North Carolina Court docket of Appeals
- The Hon. Patricia Timmons-Goodson (2016), vice chair, U.S. Commission on Civil Legal rights
- Leslie J. Winner (2015), govt director, Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation
- The Hon. Mark Martin (2014), main justice, Supreme Courtroom of North Carolina
- Charles L. Becton (2013), lawyer/judge/larger schooling chief in North Carolina
- Fred Lind (2012), Guilford County public defender
- Michael T. Marshall and Karen McKeithen Schaede (2011), Greensboro lawyers and founding Elon Regulation preceptors